Project type: Master’s degree final Project
Made: May – September 2015
Role: Producer, Programmer and Game designer.
Tools used: Unity 5, Visual Studio, excel and other text editors.
Vault Bandits it’s a turn-based strategy game that combines stealth and acction in the wild surroundings of the Old West. The player takes charge of a gang made by the three protagonist outlaws, Tala, Francis and Clyde, and he’ll have to use all his astuteness and cunning to get throught the different missions the game offers; With a script inspired in the Tarantino movies, and a visual style based in comics like Bouncer or Lieutenant Blueberry.
Throughout the development of the game I had to work on several roles for the team, the task that included each role where:
- Documentation all the project, from game mechanics to level design and keep this information up to date so the whole team is aware of any changes.
- Designed the skills of the protagonists and the NPCs, each main character (Tala, Francis, and Clyde) have unique skills, like lock picking doors, intimidate NPCs or foresee enemy movement, furthermore there’re common skills like steal items from NPCs, take cover or guard positions. NPCs have their own skills too.
- Design and testing of the exploration system, that used action points to determine what the player could do at any time.
- Design of the level layout and enemy patrols.
- Defined all the user interface and controls.
- Implemented the whole game except the enemy AI, from adding assets to the interfaces and menus as well as all the gameplay logic of the skills, cover and sight systems, game goals, and custom pathfinding for the characters and NPCs.
- Keeping track of the tasks of each member so we reach the deadline.
- Organize what to do first in order to meet our goals.